Monday, September 22, 2014

Feeling Good About the New You!

By Suzette Munson

Jennifer and I have been visiting WLS Support Groups in our area and have learned that some of you are struggling with your new image.

I did, Jennifer did, and I think it is normal. Especially when you are less than 6 months out and have not lost a lot of weight, or maybe you have lost so much that nothing fits, you're broke, and you can’t go out and spend money that you will have to spend again in a few months.

Yep, we were both there!
We often focus on the food and exercise so much that we forget the person within.
The person we are all striving to become!
That beautiful person you know you are and you want to share with the world.

Well, if you are a little down and need a boost take your self to your nearest resale shop!!

RESALE is the word for today! The word that saved me tons and gave me a chance to spend my money on new underwear and bras which made me look even better!!

If you are 6 weeks out and 30 or more pounds lighter, you are seeing changes in your body that your big loose clothes are hiding. I didn’t mind wearing droopy clothing around the house, but I wanted to look good when I went out to work or church. I wanted to start to look like I was changing.

Show off those new curves, they are going to get more pronounced and you want to show where all that hard work is going.

I don’t mean go get something off the wall provocative, but some nice new tops and maybe some slacks that show your body changes.  A new dress or jacket for work is always fun and will not only boost your ego but let folks know you are changing.

Now I know there are those that haven't told anyone you've had or are having surgery. That is okay, but it's obvious your body is different, so show it off.  Don’t wait till the butt of your britches hits your knees!!

The metro area has lots of choices for resale and I wish I could list them all. I love going reselling, and the grand kids have bought into it too. It has become a favorite event. Now, we don’t buy everything resale, but if we can find pretty tops and name brands at severely discounted prices, hey, why not!

The first time you go if you are not used to your new size, you may want to measure yourself, then measure the item you are interested in to figure out what size you will fit into. Pick a few items and try them on. That's the best way to know your fit.  Remember clothing, such as jeans, tend to be listed as Juniors (odds), Misses (evens), Women’s (plus sizes),  then you have length such as average, tall and petite.

If you have been a Plus you may be a regular. I was a Plus Women’s 26 and after my first 6 weeks I was a Women’s size so you just have to try on starting a size smaller.  I still pick clothes too big!

Make it an event! Take a friend or family member with you! I love buying, but I am not a shopper ... if a color or shape of an item catches my eye I try it on, Jennifer is the “shopper” she will look at every item in the store and then make her choices, we are definitely different in our shopping methods as we are so different in our styles but together we make an awesome team. She can point out when something is definitely not a good look for me and I do the same for her.

We try to pre-set our budget for the trip and try to find things we know we will wear later, not just something that is pretty. These have to be functional for us in every way. Then when we tire of the items, we return them for re resale! Some stores give you store credit that you can use as you go so when you are ready to dump the mega clothes you have been hoarding you can have a little bundle to put toward your new clothes!

Try it and see what jewels you can find and show off that hard work you have been doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment