Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Suzette on Smoothies


I had to drink protein drinks after the Lap-band, I could not eat enough protein without throwing up or getting something stuck. I became addicted to the protein drink and would not start the day without one and if I threw up during the day, I drank another one to make sure I got my protein.

Not a good plan!!!

Before the sleeve surgery I drank the medical mix that the Doctor required that we drink for a few weeks prior to the surgery and after the surgery. I added extracts and lots of ice to get through the time. After the surgery to my surprise I could not drink the protein….Period!! it just would not work for me. Literally making me ill…..

So I have a serious aversion to smoothies!! I think that if I had paid attention to my body when it said “You can’t eat food, You will throw up” I should have noticed there was a serious problem brewing inside me.

I want to know what my body is doing at all times so NO I don’t drink smoothies on a daily basis.

I think they should be used sparingly, if I need to get back on track sometimes I do soup broth, pureed soup, or drink fortified water for a day or two, but I just can’t stomach a smoothie!! Sorry, I know a lot of people take one a day, and I did for 8 years. But, I just can’t!!

I feel that I need the “Chew” factor to satisfy my dietary needs. I need to feel the food move from my mouth to my stomach, and yes I do feel it!! I think it is something to do with having had the band, I was so afraid to swallow lumps, bumps and stringy stuff that I now feel it and know if it is chewed enough.

Recently Jennifer and I joined a 21 day fitness challenge, just to get moving again and up my activity in my exercise activity I joined. I am glad I did, I am walking 4 miles a day and my husband Doug is walking with me. He is the reason I wanted to get back into walking and lifting light weights. The leader of the group talked about smoothies, and I shut down immediately. Yep, my experience told me that I did not want to go there!! Just like Pavlov's Dog I did not want to go back and try smoothies because of the bad experience.

Will I ever try a smoothie again? Probably, will it be filled with vegetables, protein powder and other things? I don’t know, I just know that right now I don’t want to upset the apple cart and go back to something that became a crutch and had such drastic effect on my health. I just know that for some people it is fine. It helps them reach weight loss control and keep up with the nutrition that most of us need to achieve good health. But obviously we have addiction issues and can become addicted to things that are supposed to be good as well as bad things. My jury vote is still out on smoothies, Jen loves the things and is going to try some. I wish her well and all the others in the challenge, but for me NO SMOOTHIES for right now!

**Note from Jennifer: I don't LOVE the smoothies - I haven't been able to tolerate them for a while, and tried one with almond milk for a change and it wasn't bad. It's not something I want to consume on a regular basis by any means! That being said, there are some wonderful products on the market that are insanely healthy and really delicious. I recommend that if you do decide to go the smoothie or protein-drink route that you do so as a dietary supplement rather than a meal replacement! <3 **

No comments:

Post a Comment