Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Falling and Having Trouble Getting UP?


This morning I was cruising the bariatric sights looking at what problems folks are having.  Looks like it is the same story everywhere I looked.  Large initial weight loss then stalls!  Sound familiar?

This seems to be a normal trend along with snacking on poor quality products.  How to break the stall and quit the snacking. Honestly, it is different for everyone.

We always say “Back to Basics” meaning 2-3 days of liquids followed by protein heavy diets for a week or 10 days to break the stall. This sounds easy and it really can be but obviously for some who are seriously addicted to carbs this is tough!

First of all, if you cleaned out the cabinets of all the white carbs at the beginning of your surgery why did you bring it back in?  I know I have done this a dozen times.  This last week when my husband went to the grocery store with me he picked crackers and sandwich makings and chips.  Guess who has been eating the stuff?  Yep, even though I know I don’t need it, it is bad for me and I know what it does to my system, I found myself eating the last few bits of the barbecue potato chips then cleaning out the last few bites of the Fritos!  No matter how you justify eating just one bite, it adds up!  It has for me at least.

So Back to Basics for me…..cleaning out the cabinets AGAIN!  Admonishing the hubby that I can’t have it in the house without stuffing it in my mouth.  And making protein rich snacks to keep on hand for the both of us. I know we are going to snack I just need to control what we snack on so much better.

There are so many low carb options now even on the grocery store shelves but be aware, low carb doesn’t mean NO CARB!  So the creative juices have to kick in and make items that my Husband can't resist and that I will feel satisfied with a bite or two and leave the bag alone!!

Now breaking a stall is a whole different ball game.  Sometimes you literally have to re Shock the System!  That means up your game if you are working out, change from walking to jogging, change from light weights to a little heavier or harder workout and of course change what goes into the furnace.  Up the protein and water.  

If you aren't using a tracker system I heavily suggest that you find one.  I have an IPad and an android phone.  Trackers that are free are out there, you just have to find one that you like.  The IPad apps had several that were free and so did the android phone.

Upping your game plan takes just that, planning.  Planning ahead for meals, water and exercise.
I know these are probably getting old being repeated and repeated but if it works don’t fix it but if it ain’t working you gotta fix it!! If you know what I mean.
We didn’t have these surgeries to fail.  And if we are down big numbers on the scale we want to keep it going.  I know Jennifer has struggled after the first 100 pounds and I did to.  I thankfully am at goal but I want to stay there!! And Jen wants to get there!! As does everyone reading this.  I want all of us to be successful.  So “Back to Basics” reminding ourselves that one day of falling off the plan does not constitute failure but not jumping back on track immediately increases the chances of long term problems.  So Jump “Back to Basics” and make it more fun and easier by doing the planning.  

Track your Meals
Track your Water
Track your exercise
Weigh once a Week not every day
Plan your meals ahead of time and make your own snacks

And get back on the road to complete success and being happy with yourself and your choice to have bariatric surgery as a tool toward this success.

*Sue*




No comments:

Post a Comment