Thursday, March 13, 2014

Jen’s Product Review #1: Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix


So, recently my family has started a low-gluten eating plan. We’ve decided on this for a few reasons - first, I believe I might have a gluten sensitivity. Second, we think my daughter has some health issues that might be linked to a gluten sensitivity. As a result, I have been on the lookout for products that will be healthful for my family and not make them feel like they’re deprived of anything.


There are many, MANY gluten free products on the market. My local Super Center has a good selection. Natural grocery stores have an even better one, however. And gourmet markets have the best that I’ve seen.


The problem? Most of them are made with “filler flours” such as white rice flour or potato starch flour. While better for someone with a gluten issue than wheat products, they are still refined and most contain an elevated amount of sugar and/or fat to compensate for the flavor and texture of the gluten free products.


When I found Bob’s Red Mill several years ago, I was on an organic kick. I loved the selection of flours they have - everything from fava bean flour to almond meal and everything in-between. I’ve used their products in the past, so I was fairly confident when I found the chocolate cake mix that I was getting a decent product. I was also excited to see the inclusion of such ingredients as fava bean flour and garbanzo bean flour - this gives the mix protein and fiber that wouldn’t be there before. An added bonus - less sugar than conventional g-free cake mixes! This excited me greatly!


So I brought the mix home (well, actually to the test kitchen!). While mom was working on her amazing Guinness-laced cupcakes for our upcoming St. Patrick’s Day episode (to air next week!), I was working on these little babies. I wanted a version that gluten-free people could do, but unfortunately, the way the cake mix was created I did have to add more products. No worries, though! I added a sugar-free root beer instead of the Guinness, then added an egg, butter, and vanilla (as the recipe called for). I tasted the batter. Then I almost spit it out. It tasted HORRID!! I was immediately concerned. My kids are NOT going to eat something healthy for them if it doesn’t taste good! But I didn’t want to add more junk to it if possible ... So, I added a bit more sweet (in the form of Stevia- about 1/4 C) and some more vanilla (1 more tsp).  Tasted it again. It was a bit more palatable, but no where close to what I thought would be edible ... But I threw it in the oven anyway.


After about 30 minutes, my mini nuggets of chocoholic love were done. I let them cool for about five minutes before the taste test. I grabbed one and peeled the paper off the outside, preparing for the worst ...

And was completely and totally surprised! These cupcakes were DELICIOUS! Moist, chocolatey gooey ... EVERYTHING a cupcake is supposed to be! I decided that next time I will prepare them by package directions and see what happens, but I’m pretty sure the extra sweetness and vanilla are going to be key components ... I guess we’ll see next time!



This was the nummy result:

















And this ...
















And the consensus from the kids?

Mr. J: "Mama, these are the best cupcakes you've ever made!" (Boy after my own heart ...)
Miss E: "They kind of tasted weird ... But ... OK. I'd probably eat them again ..." (Such a teenager, that one!)

So ... There you have it! Will I use Bob's Red Mill cake mix again? Absolutely. Will I recommend it to a friend? Absolutely! Go give it a try, then let us know what you did!

Want the recipe? GO HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment