Monday, April 28, 2014

Oops! I Did it Again!!

As many of you know sugar is not my friend! I know it, my family knows it, but inevitably if there is a sweet I have to put it in my mouth!

Last Saturday we had a wonderful afternoon with the grand kids hunting Easter eggs, playing video games and, of course, feasting. I planned a safe feast: we had a cookout with venison sliders and baked beans that were sugar friendly. BUT ... You guessed it! We made some treats for the children that were loaded with sugar! Rice treats that had marshmallow as the main ingredient!

I made it all day then as we finished eating lunch, I reached over, as did everyone in the family, and started munching on a treat! I knew what was in it ... but it was there ... and I was not stuffed ... so a little sweet crunch wouldn't hurt!!! Of course not!

Within 30 minutes I started feeling like I was going to sleep! Feeling stuffed, bloated, then lightheaded…..then all of a sudden I felt like I was going to pass out! Really!

I have never felt so bad from eating anything. I retreated to my bedroom and dozed for a couple of hours. When I woke up I felt like I had the hangover of a lifetime. I couldn't shake the fog.

Amazingly when I went into the living room my husband, Doug, was in the same stupor. I called Jennifer and she said she felt the same way! Low sugar living is back...no more will I put my body through the stress of trying to flush sugar from my body! If one food can affect so many in our family the same way then we need to be very conscious of what it will do to the “normal” family members, our grandchildren.

I called my youngest son, JR, who has a baby girl 2 years old. When I related my situation he commented that Olivia was high as a kite on 3 pieces of Easter Candy. I heard her shouting “Big Snack, Mommy” she was full, but starving because of the sugar.

Now I know that people say that it doesn't happen. That sugar is not the bad guy. But if you had been in my house this weekend where there was no other culprit then you would have recognized the obvious “sugar high” that was hitting young and old alike. Now I realize we are pretty much sugar free on a normal basis and just a little went a long way toward our condition, but just think if we had been on “normal” diets it would have taken several more pieces of treats to achieve this condition and we would still be consuming candy and treats that were thrown out. We would have been conditioned to think that sugar was not what was making us feel sluggish, with headaches and lethargy.

I still stand by my earlier blog, Sugar should be a controlled substance, especially in our household.

Let me know if anyone else had these issues over this special holiday where candy is king!

No comments:

Post a Comment